HOW TO GET A BOOKING AGENT
- HOW TO GET A BOOKING AGENT
- WHAT YOU NEED TO DO?
Booking your own shows is hard work! So, every decent artist or band should endeavour to secure a booking agent. Booking agents typically take 10% of your ticket sales or show fee. They’ll generally handle things like booking the shows end to end and an artists venue/tour, and getting you on support slots and festival line ups.They may also handle things like show fee negotiation, rider, booking your support acts, and sometimes negotiate flights and accommodation in amongst other things. Their job isn’t to promote your shows although some agents may include this as an additional service at a cost.
Booking agents have 2 priorities;
- Signing artists that can sell tickets.
- Signing artists that will sell tickets in the future, before someone else signs them.
Grow My Music pitches its App subscribers biannually to some of the most renowned and long standing booking agents in the country. It’s recommended that you update your ‘pitch’ within your ‘Artist Profile’ within the app to answer some of the following questions before submitting on the ‘Booking Agents’ tile in the ‘Members Calendar’section of the app.
Your pitch should include some of the following points;
- How many tickets have you sold to past shows?
- Did you sell it out?
- Who have you supported/toured with?
- How many streams do you have?
- How large is your reach/following on social media?
- Genre of music you’re in
- A brief overview of your current plan and growth strategy across the next 12months.
If you haven’t played shows before then you’re most likely not ready to have a booking agent, unless you’ve been working behind the scenes hard to make sure your show ready.
Regardless if you feel you’re show ready or not, you should still submit your music for pitch because most of the time a booking agent won’t dive in straight away to sign a new artist. If an artist sparks their interest they’ll watch them for a while first, may ask for more music to hear, and they’ll check you out at your next show. So getting on their radar is key!
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO?
- Download the app if you haven’t already.
- Complete your artist profile HINT: You should update and tailor your artist profile to every submission. We provide tips on what each music company is specifically looking for each month.
- Jump into the ‘Members Calendar’ and press submit on the ‘BOOKING AGENTS’ tile!